Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Where, oh where can my muse be?

I know, I know, long time no write.  For that I apologize.  I hope none of my many, many loyal readers feel abused and betrayed (*sarcasm*).  But seriously, to the handful of you whom I know personally and who prompted me to continue blog writing, I am sorry I didn't hold up my end of the deal.

I have a number of excuses for not writing more.  I've been working a lot and though I've had the time I have not had the energy to write interesting, insightful blog entries.  I also feel I've temporarily run out of material, since working as a housekeeper in a hotel in a small town isn't necessarily the stuff of poetry.  It could be, I'm sure.  If I worked as hard at writing as I do at making minimum wage I'm sure I could make profound connections, but at the end of the day when I feel sluggish and lazy and can't seem to get the remnants of Spic-n-Span off my hands, such attempts at provocative thought are beyond me.

Another thing I've realized is that blogging can be scary.  When I was in Israel, I felt I was playing the role of teacher or explorer, revealing to my readers the mysteries of a foreign land without fear of being proven wrong.  I could easily write about my revelations and observations, even as a young woman, without feeling that my fully-adult readers would roll their eyes and scoff with a "Psh, I learned that years ago.  Big deal."  I somehow yearn to wow and introduce ideas rarely considered before, but as a student working a summer job in a small town, what new and creative ideas can I possibly suggest to the populace?  When I do learn lessons here and there - about friendship and love and work and the stuff of everyday life - what of it is of any interest to those who have already learned that lesson and graduated from that class of Life?  I don't much care for that feeling of pride when I "discover" something only to find out that someone else has already discovered it.  Not only that, but every person in every previous generation has already discovered it.  It is as if every other person who has already made my discovery chips away at my pride until I am just like everyone else at this stage in life.

Please excuse my blatant hubris, but I want to be special.

So, I've decided to put a pause on the blog until I can find something a little more interesting to write about.  This semester I'll be enrolled in a creative writing course which may give me some more material, and the semester following I'll be student teaching - loads of material there, I'm sure.  I've also just recently discovered the art of Spoken Word Poetry and I'm thinking of focusing a little more on my relatively insignificant collection of private writing so that maybe some day I can do something more with it.

It was short lived, but thank you to those of you who did read this blog.  Again, I'm sorry I wasn't a good blog-writer this time around, but I'll try harder next time.  I promise.

In the meantime, please enjoy these two videos of spoken word poetry artists, Shihan and Rudy Francisco.  Then look  up more of their stuff - you won't be disappointed :)


1 comment:

  1. Even though others may have experienced your experiences before you -- thought your thoughts, reveled in the same revelations, anguished over the same aingsts, shed tears over the same tears of justice fabric -- your insights are powerful teaching aids to those who haven't yet reached your stage, helpful "checks" for those who derived a different message from the same lesson, and conjurers of remembrances for those who have forgotten the joy of discovery. It's ok to take a break - you don't have to apologize - but don't ever minimize the effect your writing has on others.
    --with Love from one who (sometimes) knows, has experienced, (sometimes) learned the wrong lesson, and (sometimes)forgotten the joy of discovery.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?